Friday, May 01, 2009


An Anthology of Poetry and Art

In April, in recognition of National Poetry Month, I shared a poem-a-day on my Facebook page. Along with the poem, I featured a favorite work of art—painting, drawing, or photograph. Many of the poems were already favorites. Several of the others were new to me. The Poetry Foundation's Web site was a reliable resource when I searched for a new and surprising work by a familiar or unfamiliar poet. 

Each day this month, I'm going to post the poems and artworks that were featured on my Facebook page. If you stop by to browse the blog, I hope you'll enjoy what you find.

[I find you, Lord, in all things and in all], Rainer Maria Rilke

I find you, Lord, in all Things and in all
my fellow creatures, pulsing with your life;
as a tiny seed you sleep in what is small
and in the vast you vastly yield yourself.

The wondrous game that power plays with Things
is to move in such submission through the world:
groping in roots and growing thick in trunks
and in treetops like a rising from the dead.


 Songs of the Sky, No. 2, 1923, Alfred Stieglitz